Monday, November 9, 2009

Driftwood





This is kind of amazing. It was made by Danecia Sibingo & a team of students at The Architectural Association School of Architecture in London. It's from Summer of '09, so it's kind of old news, but I just stumbled upon it. "Sibingo’s ideas were manifested through a computer-generated script which manipulated the movement of lines in a continuous parallel fashion, creating line drawings which formed the basis of a plan. Her interests revolved around carving, eroding and layering. She was joined by the other three team members who each added their own input, character and flavour to enrich the project. The final design consists of twenty-eight layers of plywood which conceal an overall internal ‘Kerto’ (a renewable spruce plywood) structural system."

I really just want to run my hand along it. I think it could have been much sweeter though if it were able to be made on the scale of some of Richard Serra's pieces. But maybe I am biased because I love Richard Serra, haha.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.